|Council-of-Elrond Cast Database|
Name: Gandalf the White
Race: Ainur (Maia of Manwë and Varda)
Actor: Ian McKellen
Aliases: Incánus, Mithrandir, Olórin, Tharkûn, The White, White Wizard
Appears in: TTT, RotK
Upon his return from the dead, he was called by a new name, Gandalf the White. Unlike his Grey incarnation, Gandalf the White was as keen tempered steel for he appeared younger, vigorous, more focused, more commanding and moved with powerful precise speed. The first most significant act of his return and sign of greater power was to release Theoden, King of Rohan from Saruman's control.
As Saruman's forces marched to eliminate the Rohirrm at Helm's Deep, Gandalf went on a lone mission. It took five days for him to search for Eomer and the exiled Rohirrim and returned in time with them to aid the beleaguered Rohirrim.
He rallied the disheartened Gondorian forces at Minas Tirith and thereafter to hold forth against the darkness of Sauron at the Black Gate. After the War of the Ring, he sailed to the West with the other Ring Bearers : Galadriel, Elrond, Bilbo and Frodo.
Ring of Fire, Narya
Upon his arrival in Middle Earth, Gandalf the Grey was secretly given one of the three Elven Rings by Cirdan the Shipwright who recognized him as the greater and wisest among the five wizards. Gandalf did not wear Narya until his departure to the West at the end of the War of the Ring.
On his return, Gandalf the White carried a white staff. Whether it was bestowed or made by Gandalf himself was unknown. Unlike the spike staff, it had a fluid flow and design which echoed the beauty and mystique of Lothlorien. It had an Elven rune for 'G' carved into it. This staff served the same function as the old. It also proclaimed to all that Gandalf was now the head of the Istari.
One of two Elven rune swords forged in Gondolin in the First Age. It was made for Turgon, King of Gondolin. The sword was lost in the Fall of Gondolin during the First Age and was found by Gandalf in a nest of trolls. It was identified by Elrond and was thereafter borne by Gandalf.
The sword fell into the chasm at Khazad-dûm but Gandalf was able to catch hold of it and wielded it to great effect against the Balrog which he finally defeated. It was retrieved from the peak of Silvertine where Gandalf dropped it when he died. Gandalf the White took it with him when he went to the West.
Glamdring was also known by other names. The Orcs called it Beater. It was also called by its translated name Foe-hammer.
The Two Towers
* Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
* Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt light in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done.
* Gandalf? Yes... That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name. I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
* One stage of the journey is over, another begins. War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed.
* Shadowfax. He's the lord of all horses and he's been my friend through many dangers.
* Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?
* Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!
* Théoden, son of Thengel, too long have you sat in the shadows. Harken to me! I release you from the spell.
* I shall draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound. You did not kill me, you will not kill him! Be gone!!
* This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight.
* There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he’s leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Théoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defences HAVE to hold.
* The Grey Pilgrim... that’s what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I’ve walked this earth and now I have no time. Good luck. My search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.
* Sauron’s wrath will be terrible, his retribution swift. The battle for Helm’s Deep is over. The battle for Middle-earth is about to begin All our hopes now lie with two little hobbits. Somewhere in the wilderness.
|Back to Character Index|