|Council-of-Elrond Cast Database|
Name: The One Ring
Aliases: The Ruling Ring, Ring of Power, Preciousss
Appears in: FotR, TTT, RotK
The One Ring was made by the Dark Lord Sauron in the fires of Mount Doom to rule over all the other rings gifted to the Elves (three), Dwarves (seven) and Men (Nine). He filled it with his own power and malice, to wield power over all the other Rings of Power, and bind their wearers to his will. Under the binding power of the Ring, Sauron subverted the nine Men and twisted them slowly into wraiths, the Nazgūl, whose only will was to serve Sauron.
The Ring was taken from Sauron during the great battle of the Last Alliance between Men and Elves at the end of the Second Age. Isildur, son of Elendil, cut the Ring off Sauron's hand with the broken balde of Narsil. But instead of casting the Ring back into the fires of Mt Doom to destroy it, Isildur was tempted by the power of the Ring and took it for himself. He was however betrayed by the Ring as it slipped off his finger in the River Anduin, betraying his location to attacking Orcs who killed him with arrows in the back. The Ring thus sank to the bottom of the river and passed out of knowledge until it came to Smeagol, one of the River-Folk similar to Hobbits. Smeagol, later known as Gollum, took the Ring into the Misty Mountains where for more than 500 years the Ring gave him unnatural long life and ensalved him to his desire for the Precious (the Ring).
By a twist of fate, Gollum later lost the Ring, which was then found by Bilbo Baggins on one of his adventures. Bilbo brought the Ring with him back to the Shire where it laid hidden and unknown for many years. After Bilbo's 111th birthday, he left the Ring to Frodo along with all his possessions before going on his last journey. The significance and identity of the Ring was then discovered by Gandalf, who also learned that Sauron has recovered much of his strength and is gathering his forces to take back the Ring. Thus the Fellowship of the Ring was formed, with Frodo as the Ringbearer, and the War of the Ring followed in the quest to destroy Sauron's Ring of Power before he can regain it to dominate Middle-earth. Throughout his journey, Frodo suffers greatly from the burden of bearing the Ring and could feel his will being eaten away with every step that he takes towards Mordor.
* In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a master ring, to control all others. And into this Ring, he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life.
* The Ring brought to Gollum unnatural long life. For five hundred years it poisoned his mind. And in the gloom of Gollum's cave, it waited. Darkness crept back into the forest of the world. Rumor grew of a shadow in the east, whispers of a nameless fear, and the Ring of Power perceived. Its time had now come.
* It came to me, my own, my love, my own, my prrrrreciousssss! * Year 3434 of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Isildur, High King of Gondor and the finding of the Ring of Power. It has come to me, the One Ring. It shall be an heirloom of my kingdom. All that should follow in my bloodline shall be bound to its fate for I will risk no hurt to the Ring. It is precious to me, though I buy it with a great pain. The markings upon the band begin to fade. The writing, which at first was as clear as red flame, has all but disappeared. A secret now that only fire can tell.
* One Ring to rule them all One Ring to find them One Ring to bring them all And in the darkness bind them
* Don't tempt me Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand Frodo, I would use this Ring from the desire to do good. But through me, it would wield a power to great and terrible to imagine.
* It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring?
* The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came.
* Wraiths! Wraiths on wings! They are calling for it. They are calling for the preciousss.
* It's the Ring. You can't take your eyes off it. I've seen you. You're not eating. You barely sleep. It's taking a hold of you, Mr Frodo. You have to fight it!
|Back to Character Index|